There are no sites to show right now…but there are!

Recently we  had a customer report an issue with their Office products (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) where there were not seeing their frequently accessed sites for SharePoint Online.

Featured Sites

I remembered reading something about this on a post in Tech Community Blog but thought it was related to Modern Authentication which the customer wouldn’t have touched.  At least I hoped that to be the case and ultimately it was.  So, I reached out to the user experiencing the issue and did all the typical account reset “stuff”:  Signed out of Office, cleared the Credentials Manager and removed/add the Microsoft Account.  No joy, but in speaking with the user it was discovered that the issue cropped up when they moved her mailbox to Exchange Online and courtesy of a Teams screen sharing session I was able to see that the account name for the SharePoint sites as JDoe@contoso.com and the OneDrive was jdoe@contoso.com.

This immediately made me believe that the account was tinkered with during the migration of the mailbox to Exchange Online and there was an odd ball caching issue but just to be sure we went into Delve and verified the settings were setup correctly. At this point it was time to reach out to IT to see what happened during the migration process.  I was assured that nothing was modified and the only thing that happened was the migration itself, but I didn’t buy it…along comes the Security and Compliance Center Audit Log search to the rescue.

Using the Audit Log search, I was able to find the migration events and noted that during the migration the users E3 license was removed and re-added as well as the user name being changed to upper case as represented earlier in this post.  AKA…that’s not quite what we were told happened😉.  Given this information I was certain it was something cached on the machine and sure enough it was.  Depending on the version of Office the path will differ slightly however the SiteServiceCache is where Office is caching your frequently accessed sites.  Path example: C:\Users\jdoe\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\SitesServiceCache\TenantID_ADAL\SitesServiceCache

SiteServiceCache File

What’s intriguing about this file is that if we open it up we can see the User maps to the ObjectId but it also includes the UPN and in this instance the UPN was listed as JDoe@contoso.com.  Changed the UPN to jdoe@contoso.com, saved the file and voila we resolved the issue.

PSA/Disclaimer…don’t tinker with things you aren’t sure of please.  I only mess with the AppData and Registry when necessary and always test it out on a “guinea pig” environment and machine first😉.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s